What does everyone think of the new Forge map sizes?

Archangel Tyrael

106 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the Forge map sizeS?

• Great
    • Okay
    • Horrible

What I said on the forge maps thread:

I like the forge maps and the variety the different terrain gives. People have been saying that these maps are too small and the only map I feel like can agree with that on is The Ravine. However, that map in particular gives more of an open-world feel. I feel that the reason for there being three distinct forge worlds is not just scenery differences but the kinds of maps you would be building with the basic things these forge worlds give. The Ravine would play as more of an open-world Big Team Battle map, keep in mind you can build on, off and around the cliffs and even down into The Ravine itself so it really gives you that kind of base-to-base combat feel just from looking at it and thinking about what types of maps you'd most likely create on it.

Impact gives me more of an open-ended feeling, mostly because of the large open space in the middle of the asteroids that you can build in. You can build a central structure there, have it reach vertically and have several floors so to speak, or you can have that structure branch out to each asteroid and build even more there, so once again we have that kind of building material. Also, akin to The Ravine you can assume that building off of the sides of the asteroid is possible, which also gives for some more unique building. However you can pretty much do anything in general in that open space in the middle, and that makes this forge world by far the most giving in terms of forging and what kinds of maps you can build.

Erosion looks nice, it's the darker kind of feeling of the map that captures me the most. Of course you can play grifball in the court and build small 4v4 maps there, but those hills don't really seem like the best building structures. However once again we can build off of the edge and the side with our forge pieces, and that area is by far the largest and most open area in the map. Also, if there are no lighting effects in the forging inventory, that lower kind of cove structure down by the water really provides a darker shade for creepy infection maps and things like that. It does seem to be lighter near the cave walls but still this and the open space in Impact would give the some of the darkest areas to build in. I don't know if that's quite true for Impact though, seeing as some of the structures have interior lighting. Hopefully that's adjustable. :)

Anyhow, I feel like these maps won't be bad to forge on, we just have to get used to building on them before speculating in my opinion.

This remains to be my opinion on the subject :)

• Like 1

They are ridiculously small maps. Of all the race tracks I have both played on and have built with my husband, are much, much bigger than those maps alone.

I build theme's. Such as the Temple of Time from Legend of Zelda, Ocarina on Time. And the Temple I have and originally planned on building again in H4, is now no longer possible. Due to the fact that the only place I could have built it on, is Ravine. And no that is no longer possible, because my temple alone is so big, that it would easily take up half if not 3/4 of the Ravine map.

I had hoped of building a castle on one of those maps. Now that too, is out of the question. I will still try, but if it turns out that I cant, then I guess all hopes have failed and I guess I will be the only one back on Reach both in the way of Multiplayer, and forge.

• Like 2

I don't think they are small. Impact can create sprawling race tracks, and Ravine can create good BTB maps. Erosion is obviously more suited for smaller maps. Halo multiplayer vehicles were never really meant to go from point A to point B because it's impractical to go on foot (we even have sprint by default now.) They are either used to do damage, run objectives, or quickly join/escape a battle. We will most likely get more "classic" forge environments through DLC, so people who want a ridicously big map (Forge World) that they dont use 50-95% of when they make their maps, it'll be there hopefully to silence the whiners. I for one am very pleased with this variety we are getting, and people who complain about there not being enough flat ground, you have 50 collosieum walls to use, that's more than enough. I can't wait to forge on these.

I would have to say that I am loving the new themes for forge backgrounds. It's great that we now have a desert and no longer need to fake "space" atmospheres. However, I will need to agree with other players that the maps seem far too small for what I was expecting (at least from the videos we've seen). I am particularly worried about the grass map. The fact that the grassy area is so small and has specific hills (which will be present in everyone's map - if they build it there). Also, the fact that there's a giant forerunner-esque structure right next to it... I find it kind of takes away some opportunities to build some modern-period (as in regular city-scape maps). However, perhaps not everything has been unveiled to us yet. We will have to wait and see what awaits us within the Forge Worlds. I am excited for the final results!

Ok. Well here's the deal.

Its not the fact that Forge World was so big that people didn't build on very much of it, its the fact that it gave enough room for those maps that allowed you to build huge things. Not to mention, it gave you the opportunity to build where you wanted and how you wanted.

And now with these small maps, forge art is mostly likely cease to exist. Meaning those awesome structures that allot of people like to see on Halowaypoint, is likely will no longer be seen anywhere else other than Reach's forge world.

So think about it next time you claim that Forge World was too big and these are more perfect. Their not. They are just way to small to build on. And dont forget, that most of the pro forges, are those whiners you keep talking about. My husband is a pro forger, and he too, thinks they are way to small.

• Like 2

Its not the fact that Forge World was so big that people didn't build on very much of it, its the fact that it gave enough room for those maps that allowed you to build huge things. Not to mention, it gave you the opportunity to build where you wanted and how you wanted.

And now with these small maps, forge art is mostly likely cease to exist. Meaning those awesome structures that allot of people like to see on Halowaypoint, is likely will no longer be seen anywhere else other than Reach's forge world.

So think about it next time you claim that Forge World was too big and these are more perfect. Their not. They are just way to small to build on. And dont forget, that most of the pro forges, are those whiners you keep talking about. My husband is a pro forger, and he too, thinks they are way to small.

I agree with you. I feel like these maps take away the potential of true forgers.

I agree with Ducain 23 on some points. For example they are not small maps. However i DISAGREE with the statement that we can build what ever we want on these maps. WE CAN'T! I was thinking of doing a sandtrap remake (like others ive heard of) but now i know that this is completely out of the question. Some people are saying that we have been given colosseum walls which we can use for floors. NO! I for one dont want to use half of a map for sandtrap and then have to build the rest on walls. It would look rubbish! The people at 343 have not given us canvases to make maps on, they've given us maps to ADD to!

• Like 1

I'm not worried at all. Although I would prefer to have a huge map like Forge World, we did just fine forging on smaller maps like Foundry and Sand Box. My only gripe so far is that they look a little cramped with all the spires and rocks. Who knows, these maps may be bigger than they seem once we actually explore them ourselves.

If you still aren't satisfied that they are big, then DLC will most likely contain a massive forge map where you can waste space. Forge art will cease to exist? What? I believe 343i wanted people to utilize play space better and more creatively. If you logically think about it, even the biggest maps in Forge World didn't even take up half or even a quarter (even a fifth jeez) of the possible space. With that said, that tiny segment of Forge World fits inside these new maps. Just because you don't have sprawling landscapes around you doesn't mean that the build space is small. No Halo map has taken up the entire Forge World play space and been good for a reason, Halo maps aren't supposed to be large Battlefield 3 size maps. I think you and your husband will be pleasantly surprised, and if not, wait for DLC. And I thought you guys were pro forgers, I'm sure you can make whatever you want to work work. :rolleyes:

Ok peeps, those who are complaining about the size of the forge worlds must realise that i, and many others have NEVER used the whole map.So by making a few smaller maps with different environs, it allows for greater creativity, i mean come on, you cant tell me you have played ANY matches on the whole forge world that were fun,when you make a map too big,gameplay becomes slow and gruelling........

when did you ever use all of forge world, and was it a good game, nuff said!

I kind of agree with this statement, plus sometimes limitations bring out the best in people. I know the THFE guys mentioned the height of ravine was mighty impressive even if the actual land area was a little on the small side. 3 totally different environments for me seem better than just one massive set of grass and water.

I definitely agree that most of the space in Halo Reach Forge was unnecessary and almost never utilized. I still can't believe however that they have not given us a very large, completely flat terrain map to start from scratch on. I am also very dissapointed that the object limits and credit limits in Halo 4 are almost exactly the same as in reach. I felt very restricted by this in Reach. What I was really hoping for from Halo 4 forge was the ability to make detailed BTB maps, completely based on forge objects.

Looking at these maps, I feel like I have been given a painting that is half finished, and has a very high limit to what I can add.

I like the ground space on both ravine and impact. But what excites me even more is the air space on both of those maps. I am still a little unsure about the ground and aerial space for erosion. I am glad that we have a nice big room like we did in reach.