It's Selective Memory My Friends

Mr. Snazz

Alright, I have no idea if this has already been discussed so if it has just close it down.

I recently read an article on Gamma Labs website that was all about Halo. It talked about how people are going back to Halo and talk of old Halo's fondly, yet people seem to forget about the problems with old Halo's. I will post the actual article at the bottom of this post in which I recommend you ALL go read. Essentially a lot of people "talk about Halo 3 so fondly yet forget the terrible burst the BR had making it useless at long range, or the broken melee system in Halo 2. How about how in Halo: CE there was absolutely no online and sluggish gameplay all around?" In a nutshell we just remember ONLY the good things about past video games, but not the terrible failures that we would rage about. Then we replay them and have a nostalgia yet find ourselves come back to the newest one because we end up remembering why we enjoyed the newer game so much more.

http://gammagamers.com/the-nostalgia-effect/

• Like 3

Personally I do remember the bad stuff. But I also remember the fun times in multiplayer, Big Team, Team Slayer, Lone Wolves, and don't forget the custom games. Infection, racing, puzzle maps were just great. Mostly its the experience really playing with friends and playing with different people around the world, people that are not 5 years old and screaming into their mic. As I said before I remember times when I felt cheated but when i think back the good times outweigh pretty much everything.

Overall the articale is correct especially with its Jay-Z quote :P

Personally I agree with the article. I remember back when BXR first became popular in H2 people would RAGE when it was used. Then in Halo 3 there was the RYY glitch, derankers, and CRAZY HLGing that ticked people off to the point of breaking controllers. The reason that people look back so fondly on the multiplayers of these games is because, quite simply, all of the reasons that people used to rage have gone away as players that used these glitches have moved on to the newer versions. That and some of the glitches have become so common that they are used anyway and have become a regular and forgivable part of gameplay.

Overall, it seems that each new Halo release so far has gotten better in some ways, and worse in others, so it makes sense for Halo 4 to follow suit. The day that Halo reaches it's "perfection point" is the day that the series dies for good. When they make the perfect game, any sequel thereafter is going to be a blatant copy of the previous one with minor alterations that are barely even noticeable (like other FPS games on the market). The way you enjoy a game is by being able to take the bad with the good. True, this is harder on the Multiplayer players because the Campaign has several things the Multiplayer lacks, and thereby more chances for good to be taken with any bad involved, but it's not too difficult to do.

In short, we've suffered through the rage of modders in CE, controller glitchers in H2, rank boosters and map glitchers in H3, and armor lock, spawn trapping, and several other things in HR. We've seen the worst of the worst. After Reach, Halo can only get better, in my own humble opinion.

Good point. I wonder if we'll be seeing this with Reach a few months after Halo 4 comes out.

Same though, once H4 comes out will people get nostalgic about Reach?

Anyway, I was honestly scared to post this because I was very unsure of the reaction I would get, love seeing the positive response though. I find it interesting how you guys actually agreed with the article. I find it fully understandable and thought it was great.

Yes, but you forget, people complain about every Halo before release, then they realise, "hey, atleast we have another halo"

Thats when Bungie (343 now) steps in and says "what do you want us to fix?" They listen, they fix, then release the next Halo, even better then before, yes there are still problems, there are NO perfect games. Halo is the closest thing to a perfect game, dont forget that next time someone complains to you, just turn to them and say:

"ATLEAST WE HAVE ANOTHER HALO"