Halo 4: Why Are Elites Enemies Again?

iahmed786

these are different convenient ones that didn't know the treaty was sign so they are enemy cause they think were there enemy still.( i think i'm right) they were there for four years so they could of been a different type of elite clan?  

No, they talked about this at ComiCon. It is because the Covenant in this game are not in contact with the Covenant in the other parts of the universe. Basically, most Covenant know the war is over, some have no idea. Sounds lame but that's just how it is.

The Thursday War confirmed this

***SPOILER                    ALERT***

At the end of the book. Jul' Mdama escapes the shield world of Onyx by escaping via a transportation system. He then makes contact with Elites on Sanghelios who didn't know that the war was over. Jul then used them to create the Storm Faction, and took them to Reqium to awaken the Didact. 

to which the Shipmaster remarks along the lines, "were it not for the Arbiter I would have glassed your entire planet". Sounds friendly right? They allied because they had a common goal and both couldn't win on their own, not because they were friends.

He was referring to the Flood and the threat of it spreading, not out of any hatred or grudge against the human species. I remember one book explaining the infectious potential of a single Flood spore, and 'Vadum even made reference to that. When dealing with a Flood outbreak you simply cannot take any chances. If you give them even a single chance, the Flood will grow exponentially in more or less no time at all. This is further backed up by the way 'Vadum praises the humans during the battle over the Ark (which you can hear at the crashed Pelican on the level The Ark), and refers to John as "Spartan" rather than "Demon", wich is a trusting, if distant, way of addressing him.

The in-game dialogue between the Elites and other humans also shows little sign of distrust, continued grudges or anything of the sort for the most part, but there are some exceptions, for instance the Major on Floodgate. As far as I know he only speaks to John once and refers to him as "Demon". So that does suggest that he still is not a friend of the humans. He seems likely the type to join the Remnant. Apart from that individual, none of the Elites in Halo 3 hate the humans, although most seem to not trust them completely, which is understandable. If anything the humans seem to be holding a grudge against the Elites, not vice versa.

Thel 'Vadam is not the only Elite who wishes for peace with the humans; not even close.

http://www.halopedia.org/Sangheili_civil_war

I had no idea that the Arbiter in fact lived entirely by himself over four states.

• 5 months later...

I believe its because when the war agents the humans and covenant ended half of the elites allied with the humans but the other hand didn't... the covenant (the storm)  you fight are rouge pirates that still believe in the forerunner gods. this might explain a bit more you have to really read it ---> http://halo.wikia.com/wiki/Thel_'Vadam  read 

"Sanghelios" at the bottom hope this helps! 

Read Halo: Glasslands and The Thursday War and that question will be answered.

Effectively these are Sangheili rebels that still oppose the Arbiter's forces and the humans. ONI is apparently helping them as well because they don't want peace with the Sangheili, or something along those lines.

• 2 months later...

All right. I'm just going to answer this just so I can share info. I don't care if it's 7 weeks after Halo 4 or 7 years, I just love going into all the details. So, lets start off back at Earth. Thel Vadam (Formerly Thel Vadamee, dropping the "-ee" suffix to signify his abandonment of the Covenant) after leaving Earth, heads to Sangheilios ( Elite homeworld) along with Rtas 'Vadum and the rest of the Elites to see if it was safe. A short while after returning, the Arbiter seeks to have a peace treaty with the Humans. This caused many Sangheili to turn against him, primarily the Servants of Abiding Truth, a religious group still worshiping Forerunners as gods. After a brute uprising in Ontom, Avu Med Telcam, leader of the Servants, decided to attack Vadam's keep. At first, things were going well for the Arbiter, but the tide turned when Arbiter allowed Kilo-Five to land and search for a missing scientist. Many viewed this as a desecration and joined Telcam. But the tide turned once more when Arbiter accepted help from the UNSC Infinity. Telcam escapes escapes from from Infinity's firepower and retreated to New Llanelli to receive weapons and supplies from Kilo-Five. Jul Mdama, a warrior for the Servants, had followed Telcam to New Llanelli and witnessed the trading, but was knocked unconscious by the Spartan II Naomi. He was then brought aboard UNSC Port Stanley to be interrogated. Soon after he was kept prisoner on the new camp on the shield world Trevelyan, and subject to more interrogation. Eventually, Jul was allowed to wander around Trevelyan whilst being attached to an explosive vest and watched by an Engineer, Prone to Drift. Jul managed to force Prone to disarm his X vest and jumped through a portal. Jul ended up on the colony world of Hesduros, who hasn't had any contact with the Covenant for about a year, and have no knowledge of the Great Schism or the end of the war. Jul meets several youngsters on the planet and ask if they can help him contact his keep. After making contact, he learns that his wife, Raia and friend Forze have been killed by the Arbiters forces. One of the kids approached Jul as he was admiring Forerunner relics, and explains to him the Forerunner symbols that were encrypted on Jul's belt. They then travel to a second holy gate and finds the same symbols on his belt are on the gate. He learns that those were the symbols for Didact and coordinates for Requiem. The native Sangheili believe he was sent by the Forerunners to find the Didact and free him. They promise to help him and give him all the ships they can use to help. They then travel to Requiem, and blah blah next thing you know half of a ship comes floating through space, then boom. Halo 4.

• 3 weeks later...

Different faction that hates elites and humans

True. Some elites disagreed with the Arbiter when he made a truce with the humans and wanted him dead. They started the Elite Civil War. They made their own faction called the Storm Covenant. They are the elites, grunts, hunters and jackals we are against in Halo 4.

The Covenant seen in Halo 4 are a fanatical splinter from the remnants of the original Covenant. They nolonger follow the prophets nor believe in The Great Journey, but they still venerate the forerunners as Gods and despise humanity as blasphemers. Even if they don't ALL follow the religion (Their leader actually just used religion as a basis to form an army to gain access to forerunner technology), but there may still be some that follow them just so they can get vengeance for losses in war against humanity. It's never officially stated, but I don't think the Sanghelios Elites are religious anymore. They may still recognize the forerunners for their achievements, but know they're not gods. 

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

My honest opinion is that it's apart of the story line.

Maybe something happened where the Sangheili

live and they think it's the humans at fault? Perhaps the

Arbiter will make a reappearance and ask Cheif for

help? Anyway, what I'm getting at is that I don't think

they will stay enemies for long.