A Real Life Halo Pelican?

Ok obviously there is not a real life halo pelican. But, would it be even possible?

Is there a way that the pelican could be modified to make it aerodynamic in real life. For example a vertical stabilizer, or longer wings ect. Do we have technology to match that of a pelican's propulsion systems? It would cost millions of dollars to make, could we do it?

I'm no aeronautical engineer, but I think the idea could be possible. I'm not entirely sure about the thrusters, but the wing-movey-swivel stuff, we could do. I'm sure that if we tried to create a real working pelican, it wouldn't look exactly like it's virtual counterpart, but I suppose it would look similar.

And yes, large amounts of money would be involved.

There could be a possibility in making one, but would cost lots of money into the millions and billions just to research it, They already created the VTOL which kind of uses the same mechanics as a pelican. But instead of propellers they'll need something that matches like um, Jet engines or a um Plasm--no that would cost way too much, I don't know but it is possible

The US army currently has some pretty amazing stuff. I'm sure with the correct amount of money, time, and manpower a Pelican could be produced... but why would they need to make one. The US currently has some incredible aircraft technology. We have Helicopters that can quite truly block out the sun with the sheer number of bullets, and cut large trees down.

The Pelican wouldn't fill any super vital voids so they wouldn't throw billions of dollars on it. At least they shouldn't... but who knows.

• Like 1

lol, i hear that the marines would love to get their hand on something a little quicker, smaller and better amored than the V-22. We have the technology! Based upon the design of the pelican, the wings would need to be extended a bit (not much) and moved foward a bit. A GasTurbineEngine would fit in nicely with the pelican's body whilst getting good airflow and protection. The pelican also has a good enough overall body shape that it employs the lifting body technique when in full foward flight.Something like the pelican would fit the marine's need for a low-profile insetion and exfil vehicle that can land in confined spaces (such as courtyards in urban areas) it's probably pretty radar absorbent too...

• Like 1

lol, i hear that the marines would love to get their hand on something a little quicker, smaller and better amored than the V-22.

The V-22 Osprey may not be a Pelican, but it does use the same pivoting propeller tech as the Falcon! I believe this is where Bungie got the idea for the Falcon.

• 11 months later...

The Pelican is closer than youve ever known. Such a project would have to be funded and contracted by the UN/Nasa inorder to be fully capable. the pelican dropship is not only an atmosphereic vehicle but also a space faring one as well.

I will not post my full designs that I have been working on, but heres a quick photoshop picture that I created a while ago, itll help put things into perspective.

The only way it would work is if it ran on rocket fuel, otherwise it would not operate in the vacuum of space. Rocket fuel is highly unstable and unsuited for common atmospheric flight. So no, we do not currently have the technology.

Actually, Nasa has been experiementing with a more compressed liquid fuel. if you recall in some of the cinematics, the pelicans ignition changes from a sold tint orange to a light blue, the pelican can have two seperate tanks to hold its payloads of jet fuel and comressed liquid fuels for space burns like in the late apollo missions.

post-8753-0-93550100-1373681968_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

It'll take a lot of money, time, and research but from what I've heard and seen, it sounds possible. Look at the F-35 jet, it can vertically take off like a helicopter and fly like a jet and that's essentially what a Pelican does. Its sounds cool as hell too, I'd love to ride in one. The term is called VTOL I believe, and that is pretty much what a Pelican is. I would think that helicopters happen to be our equivalent to Pelicans though right now.