Halo 4 Spartan's Rank System should be Navy

The Clusterfunk

Hey I had this idea about Halo's ranking system that made a lot of sense. And does a great deal of justice to the actual canon of Halo. I posted a thread on The Flood on bungie.net about it:

Here's the link to the thread:

http://www.bungie.ne...iewreplies=true

But here is the premise of my argument:

The ranks for the multiplayer system for Halo's mulitplayer should have been Naval since Halo 3.

But they weren't, they were a mix of Army/Marine ranks with the only Navy rank being "Commander".

However it seems as if the ranking system for multiplayer isn't even following the ranking system of Halo's UNSC canon in the first place.

Spartans are technically Navy right? Created under the Office of Naval Intelligence (ONI), part of the NAVAL SPECIAL WARFARE COMMAND.

I am mean why else would Halo's main bad ass be called a "Master Chief?"

Here's the ranks for the UNSC Navy:

http://halo.wikia.co...Navy#Navy_Ranks

Here's what proves the Spartans are part of the Navy under the Navy Special Warfare Command:

http://halo.wikia.co...2FNavSpecWep.29

So if 343i decides my idea is valid, I think the option I mentioned in my flood thread should be considered.

"Another option they should add is whether a player would want to stay enlisted or become an officer. And have pros & cons for both choices."

"Maybe something like enlisted are better fighters, officers get better equipment, or probably have some aesthetic differences at the least. Besides what Halo fan wouldn't want to have their rank be Master Chief."

Also as a disclaimer, I am an enlisted member of the United States Navy. And as a Sailor I would rather see my 7ft. tall juggernaut Spartan who is suppose to be Navy have the correct ranking system.

• Like 1

While they are officially part of the ONI (Office of Naval Intellegence) I have always viewed the Spartan Program as a very different and unique part of the Halo Franchises armed forces. They should not follow a Navy ranking structure because that system does not befit their type of work.

While they are officially part of the ONI (Office of Naval Intellegence) I have always viewed the Spartan Program as a very different and unique part of the Halo Franchises armed forces. They should not follow a Navy ranking structure because that system does not befit their type of work.

Spartans are ACTUALLY part of the UNSC, which is not Navy, but (I guess) somewhat like a combination between Army, Marines and Navy. But Spartans are also, part of the ONI which is the Office of Naval Intelligence. So I'm guessin' ranks should be a special Spartan ranking.

The UNSC is not a branch of military. It is the United Nations Space Command. It governs over all of humanity. Spartans really do not belong in any of the branches of military because they do such diverse work. They are in a class of their own.

Yeah... no. The Earth is governed by the Unified Government of the Earth. The UNSC is a branch of the Government, just like the Secretary of Defense of (Almost) any Country... Spartans are under UNSC's Special Forces. But they were developed by the ONI, and some serve them.

The UNSC is Earth's military, governed by representatives from each nation.

Like if you found this helpfull :)

DUDE!!! SERIOUSLY! STOP ASKIN FOR LIKES! We have Youtube, and FB for things like dat.

Ive read most all the books, and i can understand the navy rank argument but at the same time its a game so its up to the game developer to decide the ranking system and not what it should or should not be. Spartans do have a unique set of skills but navy seals of our military would be like our spartans of todays world and their navy. However were talking about science fiction and not reality. So really, they could totally make up their own unique ranking system for the game and wich they probably did and it would be ok

lets stop all of this arguing about who the UNSC is and who ONI belongs to, etc. The point, there are too few naval ranks to compare to 50 in halo reach, and it also like the 1-50 rank in halo 2. It would take forever to rank up and the ranking system is already in place for halo 4

It's alright. :)

Now, John is a Master Chief Petty Officer, that means that the multiplayer ranks are definitely different from the actual UNSC ranks. Common sense there. Maybe they could implement these?

For actual Spartans there are few ranks. Just 10 or so. 343 would have to implement the UNSC's army, navy, air force, or marine ranks.

I suppose it would make more canon sense if the Ranks were Navy, but as previously stated, people already know the Halo ranks and are comfortable with them, so I doubt 343i will change them. But would be cool to be more in line with the Halo verse.

I like how a few of you don't really know what you're talking about.

The UNSC isn't a branch. It commands all humanity.

And technically, the Spartans are part of the Navy. And by Navy, I don't mean boats. I mean spaceships.

So really, it would make a lot of sense to give Spartans UNSC Naval ranks.