Evolution of Elites

BBright

I've noticed a number of aesthetic changes of Elites in Halo 4 that seem a bit...off.

Below is the best picture I've found thus far of an elite in H4. I suppose he is in a combat stance, but he seems so much more hunched over than elites ever really are. His skin is incredibly leathery and almost scaly in places. Granted the developments in graphics allow more detail but still it would not have been too large of a task in previous games, and I have yet to read any description that states elites are scaled. A second point is the mouth. There are the usual 4 mandibles but none of them seem to be teethed. Thirdly, it seems to be much thicker. He clearly has bulky, heavy body armor but what you can see of his exposed legs and torso, he looks proportionately bigger, sans the arms.

Halo4_360_Visuel_019.jpg

Now here are elites from Halo 1,2, and 3, which I used for comparison. Interesting changes throughout but I still think this is one of the largest changes throughout the Halo series in the Sangheli.

Halo-Elite-Evolution.jpg

Feel free to make any additions to changes that you've noticed as well. Actually, please do.

• Like 1

It looks just like a Halo 3 elite to me except with scales. He is also just as hunched as the Halo 3 elite in the picture, so maybe they are just both walking.

I'f I'm not mistaken the only time we have seen decent elite skin is when the Arbiter got the mark of shame. They usually have some kind of suit on underneath the armor, so maybe they have always had scaled we just never see them. Or it is just an artistic change, no big deal.

And you can see teeth on the top left mandible.

My very personal opinion: I like Halo 4 elites better. They just look so more "Alien-y". On the scales thing, If you notice, Elites, even without armor, always have some kind of suit underneath, just as MC, or every other Spartan.

I think that people are simply not going to like the Halo 4 elite because it shows more skin/scales/whatever you want to call it. People imagine the Halo 3/reach version of the elite when elites are brought up. I personally like what they have done with the elites. However, I do believe that over time the sangheili would have recognized that forearm armor is a must haha.

• Like 1

What im hoping is that since this is a different branch of the covenant than arby's they switched up the combat elite armor because i hate it! The helmet should look like a shark, not like it was pulled from a rebel's head from star wars and then painted blue. and what is with the mandible looking like an arow head? They have always been rouned at the tip.

• Like 2

I think it looks Good. I do think he is a little hunched over but he might just be trying to get low on ya or he may be moving to a crouch position. I think if he had a different weapon that they would being standing up straighter. Because even in reach it looked as if the elites are hunched over when they are wielding an energy sword.

Have we been sleeping? This was mentioned countless times before. It's either one of three reasons.

One, graphical update. Hello, it's 2012 not 1912.

Secondly, it may be something to do with atmospheric changes within the universe/Sanghelios or something. Hell, possibly even a disease.

Thirdly, before all of the Halo 4 stuff the Sangheili had a thin layer of a black suiting which they do not in the images in Halo 4. This may be because they are the Servants of the Abiding Truth and they do not have the more advanced technology.

What I writ makes no sense. I apologize.

• Like 1

The helmet should look like a shark, not like it was pulled from a rebel's head from star wars and then painted blue. and what is with the mandible looking like an arow head? They have always been rouned at the tip.

Dude, you know, graphics... They've improved. Maybe Elites mouths-things have always been sharp-y or arrow-head-like, but because of the graphics we've never noticed this.

And about the armor, they're called "Armor Permutations", like spartans, elites have different armors. Maybe this Round-non-shark Star-Wars-Rebel-like helmet is just another permutation.

Have we been sleeping? This was mentioned countless times before. It's either one of three reasons.

One, graphical update. Hello, it's 2012 not 1912.

Secondly, it may be something to do with atmospheric changes within the universe/Sanghelios or something. Hell, possibly even a disease.

Thirdly, before all of the Halo 4 stuff the Sangheili had a thin layer of a black suiting which they do not in the images in Halo 4. This may be because they are the Servants of the Abiding Truth and they do not have the more advanced technology.

What I writ makes no sense. I apologize.

Could not agree more with you. People always forget about Halo canon. Maybe, when Elites fought about fighting or not the humans, some decided, "What the hell, as we're not you, we're not wearing this black suits, and we're just putting armor over our bare skin". But, I've seen Elites in Halo 4, at least in renders, that still have that leather black suit.

Dude, you know, graphics... They've improved. Maybe Elites mouths-things have always been sharp-y or arrow-head-like, but because of the graphics we've never noticed this.

And about the armor, they're called "Armor Permutations", like spartans, elites have different armors. Maybe this Round-non-shark Star-Wars-Rebel-like helmet is just another permutation.

Could not agree more with you. People always forget about Halo canon. Maybe, when Elites fought about fighting or not the humans, some decided, "What the hell, as we're not you, we're not wearing this black suits, and we're just putting armor over our bare skin". But, I've seen Elites in Halo 4, at least in renders, that still have that leather black suit.

Thank you and indeed so. It may well be a choice, who knows.

• Like 1

Gimme back my halo 3 elites, where they had cool armor and didnt look funny. But this is just my opinion.

What I want to know is how they changed so drastically in a few yearsthe chief has been sleeping. Please correct me on the time chief has been sleeping if im wrong.

Halo reach elites were the best in my opinion. They had much more variety in rank, design, and armor style/color. The halo 4 elites do look cool... but I do still prefer the reach ones.

Though the Elites in Reach had the bigger variety, I didn't liked them. They just looked so... thin.

Halo reach elites were the best in my opinion. They had much more variety in rank, design, and armor style/color. The halo 4 elites do look cool... but I do still prefer the reach ones.

I also like the Elites in Halo: Reach best. As Mr. Bullet stated, they had a wide variety in style, design, and color. They also had better posture, making them look even more menacing.