Gears of War Creator Thinks Games Have Become Too Easy

15r0b2p.jpg

For Gears of War: Judgement, Cliff Bleszinski is hoping to see something that he feels is lacking from too many modern games: Difficulty.

In a conversation with Xbox 360 Achievements, Bleszinski talks about the problems that come along with trying to make games appeal to wider audiences.

“It feels like in this current console generation that we’ve taken a lot of steps to grow the audience and what I think’s happened is that the games have become more linear and easier, so it feels like a lot of quick-time-events” Bleszinski told the site.

“The more I play games like that the more I turned off to them and just want to get back to systems interacting with systems, and get back to a game that, you know, when was the last time a game really challenged you and asked something of you, right? There’s a reason why Demon Souls and Dark Souls have taken off lately. It’s because they really require you actually try.”

Bleszinski goes on to say that for Judgement, the game will still feature a casual mode, where players can worry more about enjoying the experience of the game, and less about challenge. However, every other mode will be hard, “and you will die” he told X360A.

http://www.egmnow.com/articles/news/gears-of-war-creator-thinks-games-have-become-too-easy/

• Like 1

I absolutely agree with that. Games definitely need to go back to they way they were, as in they required some amount of skill and concentration in order to get through it. So many people I know these days won't play a game because they say it's too hard. I don't want to spend $60 on an hour long campaign, I want to spend $60 on something that's going to literally consume my time. Give me something to do! That's why I spend sixty bucks, for a time consuming challenge.

I don't think the industry suffers from a lack of difficulty, it suffers from a lack of quality and creativity. Cliif should be worrying more about plots that make sense, characters that are engaging, and enemies that are actually menacing. Besides, Cliff's idea of "higher difficulty" is probably a simple (and fairly uninteresting) stat boost to the AI enemies, rather than a change of their AI behavior to make them more challenging tactically. GOW 2 and 3 seemed just fine in terms of difficulty...it was in other areas that they suffered.