Site Poll 65: Sangheili or Jiralhanae?

Ranger Intel

oAEBUiG.png

Hi everyone, Spartan here with site poll #65.

Last week we discussed your favourite Noble Team member. Overall it was a tie between Jorge-052 and Spartan B312, the final Noble 6. Great to hear everyone's opinion about each character, and it was interesting to learn about the irony of some members' deaths, as pointed out by Self Destruct. The rest of the team received some praise and criticism, by in the end all votes went to Jorge and B312, who were both great Spartans like the rest. May they be remembered for all they've done. Click here to view the last poll, #64.

800px-H2_elitevsbrute.jpg

Sangheili or Jiralhanae?

I find this topic to be a difficult one. I initially would have thought Elites, no doubt about it, but then again they were completely reliant on the Prophets and struggled to rebuild their society after the war. Despite their strength, Jiralhanae are even stronger, and not always as stupid. Unlike the Brutes, the Elites at least turned the tide against the Covenant and woke up, but that may only have been out of vengeance for their betrayal from the Prophets.

It's clear the Sangheili have more advanced weapons and armour than the Jiralhanae throughout the Human-Covenant War, but this was due to the Prophets' engineering. As a result of this, the Elites are more capable with advanced weaponry and more familiar with complex technologically. Despite the fact they're not great at engineering, they do have a better understanding of operating plasma weaponry. The Brutes utilised more crude designs for the most part, until the Prophets began arming them with their own more advanced tech after replacing the Elites. The Sangheili really excel with naval combat. This may be because they were more privileged throughout the Covenant's existence, but if you put an Elite against a Brute in naval warfare, I'm sure it's safe to say the Sangheili will come out on top. In hand-to-hand combat, the sheer muscle mass and therefore power of Brutes will give them the upper hand, and they may have no problem against the average Sangheili. It could only take two Elites to pin down one Brute though, and they can use their claws to rip others apart. Elite's are generally more agile, it's in their physiology. Brutes are taller. So many advantages/disadvantages for each side.

Both races practice discipline, and I believe both have a warrior-based culture for males. The Elites may not be more intelligent in every way, but they give off that idea due to their long-term experience on weapons systems from the Covenant. They've been there from the start, whereas Brutes were absorbed along the way. This is why the Elites are usually seen as intellectually superior, because them and their ancestors fought with more advanced ships, weapons, and strategies than the Brutes, and they did it first.

I could pick Elites just from their armour and weaponry, but who's to say Brutes can't get onto equal footing with technology? If both were at the same stage at advancement, who's better? Is anyone even better? Look at the Banished. They most likely acquired scientists to develop their new tech, but even though they didn't create it they certainly knew how to use it. Small in size, but really effective with their tech, the Banished is a great example of Brutes fighting with better tech. Get a Brute in a mech suit against a Zealot Elite, and I'd like to see how it plays out.

Honestly so much to talk about when it comes to this topic, and I struggled to try and condense this. Really looking forward to hearing everyone's thoughts. This isn't so much a versus, but more about your preference and why you'd pick one over the other. I'm having a little cognitive dissonance myself, and would love to see what the community has to say about this. Both are formidable races, but who's your choice?

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts,

Spartan out.   :yay:

• Like 5

Brutes cus I'm sick n tired of dealing with the Elites all the damned time. Just give us the damn Brutes, 343!

Really tho, they're more intimidating as enemies, and Brute Chieftans alone would make this a hands down win. An Elite coming at me with an energy sword isn't as scary as this hulking behemoth with a freaking huge beating stick blasting everything out of the way: not to mention these things can make themselves temporarily invulnerable.

• Like 2